Wednesday, April 18, 2012

When
I was in first grade, I could not read. I had never seen a written word. My teacher told my mother that I was
“retarded.” My mother responded with,
“Nonsense!” She took me home and taught me phonics in one hour. It was not
fashionable at that time to teach phonics. The next day, my teacher moved me
from Group C to Group B, and then to Group A, all in the same day! I could now
sound out the words, “Run, Jane, run. See Jane
run. Run, Spot, run. Run, run, run!” I will never forget that lesson.

I have watched as
supposedly learning-challenged students out-perform their supposedly “normal”
peers. It is all in the work, knowledge, and discipline. As students, we need
to keep moving forward and not allow harmful, debilitating labels to hold us
back.
(From "Introduction" to Marcielle Brandler's Fun with Grammar: A Workbook for All of Us.)

We need to encourage even those we perceive as not trying or doing well and those who are doing well. We ever know who is discouraged or who does just not "get" the ideas they are taught.
Remember how you felt when you were trying to understand a difficult concept. Avoid labeling anyone, even yourself.

To watch free grammar-lesson videos, on the Fun with Grammar, Business, and Entrepreneurship click on the links inside http://marciellepresents09.wordpress.com/fun-with-grammar-business-entrepreneurship/
Have fun!

No comments:

Post a Comment